Sign in to follow this  
Guest pdidster

Risk or Reward? - Move to Australia

Guest pdidster

Hello everyone, am I in the right place for some advice on moving to Australia??

Myself and girlfriend having been mulling over a move to Australia for far too long, and we've decided to make a decision once and for all. We both want to live & work in Australia having visited on a number of occasions over the past few years.

We have spent the past 6 months trying to find a 457 sponsored job in Australia, however the barrier of being in the UK at present constantly leads to rejection. We are both 30+ and degree qualified, one as a Digital Marketer and the other as a Health Promotion worker, however neither fall onto the SOL.

Our only option now appears a risk or reward trip to Australia, giving up our jobs in England, in search of the Australian dream? We don't have too many ties here so this could happen very quickly and the funds are in place for at least a 6 month stay.

I would love to know if anyone has actually done & achieved this?? What is the secret to success?

I would also welcome honest advice from people, do they think it is possible to just turn up in the country and get a 457 sponsored job?

If you've read this far, then thank you very much, look forward to hearing from you.

Guest northshorepom

I don't want to p1ss on your chips but I think this might be a bit difficult

The economy here has markedly slowed over the past 12-18 months and there are a lot of people chasing decent jobs. A fair few layoffs and the like

Add to that an increasing rhetoric in the media and public conversation about 457 visas which is only going to get worse as the election approaches. I would say the chances of turning up on spec and landing a sponsored job aren't great

Also on a tourist visa you aren't supposed to be looking for work. People have been caught out in the past

IF you don't have kids and can easily go back to your old jobs in the UK then there's not much risk other than spending some cash I guess, so give it a go. But I don't think it will be easy

Guest TeeTMI

We have spent the past 6 months trying to find a 457 sponsored job in Australia, however the barrier of being in the UK at present constantly leads to rejection. We are both 30+ and degree qualified, one as a Digital Marketer and the other as a Health Promotion worker, however neither fall onto the SOL.

Our only option now appears a risk or reward trip to Australia, giving up our jobs in England, in search of the Australian dream? We don't have too many ties here so this could happen very quickly and the funds are in place for at least a 6 month stay.

Hi pdidster

Finding an 457 employer sponsor can be hard sometimes.

Whilst your occupation may not be on the SOL - have you considered the CSOL?

Without seeing your full details I cannot say for sure but there are potentially options for PR that you are missing..?

I have a points calculator (includes a link to the CSOL) on my web site you might like to take a look I would be happy to comment.

Tee

Guest Kate

Unfortunately sponsorship is just as hard once you are here so I wouldn't give everything up in the hope of this. Have a chat with Tee if anyone knows she will.