I need me one of these!!!!

We tend to make our own (mainly from scratch) but every now and again we want to go out for a good old curry. I'm afraid to say that although we've tried a fair few places and explained exactly what we want in terms of heat and flavour, it's always pretty insipid and just does not hit the spot! I'm not necessarily after a "british" style curry, but suggestions and recommendations for anything other than the uniformly bland 'australian' curry would be most welcome.

The best of the bunch that we've tried so far have been Rangoon Colonial Club and Last Train to Bombay, both in Crows Nest, but does anyone have any good solutions to this vexed question? We live on the lower north shore but are willing to travel. :)

• Like 1

We tried this one last Thursday .... very good .... I tried one of the more exotic curries .. OH had a beef vindaloo, I think I choose wisely, it was annoying though because OH kept on dipping his Naan Bread into my sauce, which told me that I had made a far wiser choice than him ... I try to choose something in a restaurant that I can't cook myself (or have very little time to prepare) ... I will have a look at the website for the menu and post the curry name I had ....http://www.zaaffran.com

I will also post some recipes later for easy curries to make at home ....

Must go and hang out the washing, be back later :D

• Like 1

Thanks LoveShoes, we already make a lot of ours from scratch. Actually I posted before about the wholesaler where we buy all our spices, rice, lentils, random assorted imported goods from but it got deleted by the mods. Wasn't trying to advertise - just wanted to pass on the info to readers!

• Like 2

I don't know any of these places although a guy in Strawberry Hills Hotel told me Maya is good. There is one 100 Mr down Elizabeth St from me opposite Wanderer bar (that is OK too.) I can't remember name but it is popular with taxi drivers from all over the Sub-continent. Mad Cow on Cleveland St (is Maya up there too?) Is OK.

I prefer Thai curries, usually Red or Green but not TOO hot! I like a bit of bite but not the feeling I have kissed a hot plate (French kiss too!!)

I am useless on names and streets but "Home" on I think Sussex St in City is good - so good I broke my rule of refusing to queue for a seat!

& with very similar name "House" on Elizabeth St next to Triple Aces pub has good reviews.

• Like 1

Your welcome ... here goes from memory ... actually just made 2 big pans of this, one for tonight and a mega size one for tomorrows state of origin match at our neighbours .....

I usually use lazy garlic and ginger .. used to use the real thing, but find this just as good + it is still the real thing, just ready done .... use about an inch in lengths worth .... or to taste ....

2 tablespoon of light oil (recipe says ghee, but I prefer oil)

chicken breast ... two usually enough

1 teaspoon white cumin seeds

1 teaspoon mustard seeds

1/2 teaspoon tumeric

2 tablespoon curry paste (I use 3 and homemade paste .. I will write up the recipe & post)

1 large onion

1 tin of chopped tomatoes

2 large fresh tomatoes (the recipe doesn't say put these in, but they make it real)

1/2 green bell pepper

2 green chillies

squirt of lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon aromatic salt (or to taste) aromatic salt is just sea salt with spices in it ... will post tomorrow .

2 teaspoons garam masala

All pretty easy to do .... mix the seeds and tumeric with the oil over the hob ..... add the garlic and ginger ... wait until it smells nice then add the chicken (oh I forgot the chicken) whoops ... we use breast ...

add the curry paste and let the chicken .. paste and other ingredients meld together but not for too long .. add the onions ... chillies and tomatoes .. green pepper .. lemon juice .. garam masala .... mix together and simmer slowly for about 45 minutes to an hour .. I always find this best if the vegetables drop a bit .... if you prefer I suppose you could liquidize the vegetable gravy and then add the chicken once you have done this ....

I have vindaloo and a few others Phall to share ... will post next few days (I hope)

I don't know any of these places although a guy in Strawberry Hills Hotel told me Maya is good. There is one 100 Mr down Elizabeth St from me opposite Wanderer bar (that is OK too.) I can't remember name but it is popular with taxi drivers from all over the Sub-continent. Mad Cow on Cleveland St (is Maya up there too?) Is OK.

I prefer Thai curries, usually Red or Green but not TOO hot! I like a bit of bite but not the feeling I have kissed a hot plate (French kiss too!!)

I am useless on names and streets but "Home" on I think Sussex St in City is good - so good I broke my rule of refusing to queue for a seat!

& with very similar name "House" on Elizabeth St next to Triple Aces pub has good reviews.

I had a Thai dish last week in a restaurant next door to the Meriton in Campbell Street .... it was too hot .. Jungle Curry ... 5 prawns and loads of chillies ... $23 I should have stuck to red or green but I thought I would be adventurous ... bloody stupid more like :pompus:

• Like 1

For those near/in Sutherland Shire, there are two nice ones which we have used. The first is Mumtaz Mahal in Caringbah, and the second is Moksha in Jannali. Mumtaz Mahal do an absolutely beautiful fish pakora starter (I don't think it is on the menu so you have to ask for it) and I love the lamb badami from Moksha. We have never had a bad meal from either place.

This is the recipe that I use for Rogan Josh http://www.route79.com/food/rogan-josh.htm

• Like 2

I will get my Pataks Rogan Josh sauce next time to try it! My friend is v good cook so I will try recipe on her.

I had Green curry chicken on Fri and red curry duck at Thai in Gaelic Hotel (Fri and Sat I mean.)

I might check out those two places - maybe get train to Jannali as I've not been there

• Like 1

Thanks LoveShoes, we already make a lot of ours from scratch. Actually I posted before about the wholesaler where we buy all our spices, rice, lentils, random assorted imported goods from but it got deleted by the mods. Wasn't trying to advertise - just wanted to pass on the info to readers!

Lizzie never saw a post get deleted, please re post.

I can't remember exactly what is was I posted now! I was essentially raving about a place on Carlotta St in Artarmon - continental and oriental foods I *think* it's called - where we stocked up on all sorts of goodies and waaaay cheaper than supermarket prices, and much better quality/quantity too. Would highly recommend! Not only for Asian (by which I mean Indian subcontinent rather than China) things but also for some Greek/polish/random imported assorted goodies. The only thing they don't do is fresh food- so no fruit or veggies, bread or dairy.

I've since heard about a couple of places Homebush-way which we'll check out once we've got a car.

• Like 1

Went to Maya Da Dhaba in Surry Hills on Friday. It was busy (good sign) but really average I'm afraid

Not had much in the way of curry in Sydney yet as everything people have said has put me off. I went to Uni in Bradford so got spoilt.....not had much in the UK outside Bradford, Southall, Brum or Rusholme that I liked either to be fair

I thought MDD was just really insipid. Chicken didn't seem great quality either. A 3/10

I will see if I can try the Crow's Nest ones mentioned by the OP

:)

I'm not sure if I've been to that one. Is it on Cleveland Street? I went to a vegetarian one opposite Bar Cleveland and that was OK The one (only one in fact) that I go to regularly and like every time is 'Himalaya' in Elizabeth Street between Devonshire and Cleveland Streets, opposite The Wanderer bar. I was there tonight in fact, had Lahori chicken, and on Friday night for Sagwala chicken. Always have rice and, usually Roti bread and it costs me about $21-22. Not sure if they are charging me for the poppadoms. No.

I checked my receipts - $21.90 tonight with Lachnedaar Paratha bread, and $20.65 on Friday with Roti. I'm no expert on Indian food but I like this place enough to go twice a week, and the food always seems to be good quality. No fat or gristle on the meat! The goat has a lot of bones! That's why I prefer chicken.

It's very popular with Indian/Pakistani/Sri Lankan/Bangladeshi taxi drivers, so I assume that is a mark of authenticity?!