Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kate

Safest Suburbs in Sydney

Guest Kate

I have to revise the list of safest suburbs for 2012, now that the 2011 statistics have been released by BOCSAR. Using a 5-year data set, this list now is based on data from 2007 to 2011, while the previous list covers 2006 to 2010. Moreover, instead of using averages which skews the data for extreme values, I have used mean, thus this list is statistically more reliable. Now the Top 20 Safest Suburbs in NSW 2012 are:

Lane Cove

Ku-ring-gai

Canada Bay

Willoughby

Hornsby

Hunters Hill

The Hills Shire

Ryde

Kogarah

Wakool

Upper Lachlan Shire

Mosman

Warringah

Palerang

Kiama

Wollondilly

Gwydir

Dungog

Blayney

Cabonne

This list considered only the following crimes: assault, sexual offences, robbery, breaking and entering, all forms of theft and stealing, fraud, malicious damage to property, threats and harassment, arson, fencing, possession of cannabis, trespass, prohibited weapons, offensive conduct and offensive language. I did not include anymore liquor offences, AVO breaches, resisting arrest, and transport regulatory offences. My reason for their non-inclusion is that these offences do not pose any immediate danger to life, limb and property.

Comparing the 2011 results with these results, Hornsby is most stable at 5th safest suburb. Top gainers are Willoughby climbing up 15 rungs at 4th and Ryde climbing up 10 rungs at 8th. Canada Bay moved up 4 places at 3rd, while Lane Cove moved up 2 places to the top of the list. Warringah and Wollondilly both gained a step up to 13th and 16th respectively. The biggest losers are Cabonne sliding down 9 steps to 20th, Kogarah slid down 5 steps at 9th, while Hunters Hill and Mosman both slid down 4 steps at 6th and 12th respectively. Palerang, Kiama, and Dungog all slid down 2 steps at 14th, 15th, and 18th respectively, while Ku-ring-gai at 2nd, The Hills Shire at 7th, and the Upper Lachlan Shire at 11th all slid down one step. Newcomers to the list are Wakool at 10th, Gwydir at 17th and Blayney at 19th, while Greater Hume Shire, Pittwater, and Yass Valley disappeared.

Guest sproggo

Yes, I am not surprised most of those areas are north shore, I used to love working at Lane cove. I am surprised Wollstonecraft hasn't made it on the list, but it has been a very long time since I have been in that area.