Guest Holly D

Making Friends in Sydney

Guest Holly D

Hi Everyone,

I thought it would be good to start a thread on how to make friends in Sydney.

I have been here for 6 months now and I am finding it hard to make new female mates. Dating guys does not seem to be a problem, but I find that to make new platonic girlfriends is more difficulty.

Anyone else found the same or have any tips for making new friends Aussie or non Aussie - I don't mind!

Happy Spring is here!

Holly :)

Well being a Guy i guess i cant help very much, but i figured i would say hello, welcome you to the forum and let you know you have an "online friend" (lol).

Guest rosetinted

Hi Holly,

Your post came up as I searched for "how to make friends in Sydney" :lol: I guess it's a common problem..

I've been here for 2 years now and I'm still struggling to make friends.

I have stumbled upon some website about making friends over dinner party.. would that be something you'd do?

I hope you'll find your friends soon!!

Enjoy the warm weather!

It's a good question, because Sydney can be hard to crack...

If you live in a beachy suburb like Manly or Bondi it's obviously going to be easier because those areas are a lot more social. But everywhere should have places to meet people.

If you're going to the gym you could meet people in some of the organised classes they have there. Strike up a conversation with some of the girls, partner with them in the classes, or arrange to meet for classes. Once you've established a bond with someone go for coffees, and you are away!

Obviously where you work you could find a workmate that you get along with and try and get in with their clique. Also if there's any already attached guys you know, you could hang out with their girlfriends. On that same note, if you are dating a guy, see if his mates girlfriends are available to hang out. That could be a good way to kill 2 birds with one stone, letting the boys have a guys night out while you get to know the girlfriends...

Perhaps you and rosetinted should go for a coffee and brainstorm some more ideas :P

This second stint in Sydney has been much less lonely because I have "pushed" myself to talk to people, wherever I am, shops, cafes, pubs, shops, & now I know people and they know me. In the Trinity Bar last night, nearly all the staff knew me. Coming out of the pub I bumped into a Turkish bloke I know from two years ago when he lived in my block. It is a good feeling to be a known "face!"1

• Like 1

This second stint in Sydney has been much less lonely because I have "pushed" myself to talk to people, wherever I am, shops, cafes, pubs, shops, & now I know people and they know me. In the Trinity Bar last night, nearly all the staff knew me. Coming out of the pub I bumped into a Turkish bloke I know from two years ago when he lived in my block. It is a good feeling to be a known "face!"1

I think thats what you have to do MR, although it's hard when you are a shy/reserved person. I know I could not just go out there and push myself on someone. What about joining clubs, sports clubs, swimming, gym etc.

I found (actually, am still finding) that you just have to get over the 'billy no mates, new kid at school' feeling and just put yourself out there. I still have the fear of appearing as a desperate "random person, please be my friend" type, but it's the only way!

Join some clubs - even if its just a book club run by your local library- have a look at MeetUp.com and go along to some groups that pique your interest, invite colleagues out for coffee, never say no to an invitation ... It all helps.

• Like 1

I agree that you will probably need to join some clubs and things, maybe something sporty or a hobby that you enjoy. I also found, that when I moved to a different town on my own (many years ago now), it helped to do the same things at the same time every day/week. For example, I used to go out for a walk in the evening, and for a coffee at the same time every Sunday morning, because over time I would meet the same people over and over and eventually got talking to them.

It is probably easier for those of us with children, because we come in to contact with other parents on a regular basis at school and playgroups.

• Like 1