Guest PerthDan

New Years Eve

Guest PerthDan

Hi ppl we are from Perth and we will be on SYD Airport on 31.12 arround 22.30 and idea is to get to firework on time . :D

Options;

Rent a car from Airport and park close to event;

Train ;

Taxi

Rent a car then park at train station and train to event;

Train from Airport

We booked Hotel i Prramatta:( , so we have to get there after event , we will have luggage ...

Any suggestions ...

Thanks

Movement in and around Sydney CBD on NYE is a nightmare and severely impaired.

Do not count on driving anywhere, dont expect to have a taxi available and in all honesty, vehicles are not the way to move around.

Catching a train to the Parrammatta Motel wont be too hard, though dont expect to get there before 3am.

I will be in Sydney for NYE as well (under better circumstances)

Is anyone going to watch the fireworks? I was thinking about watching it from the Botanic Gardens

I will be in Sydney for NYE as well (under better circumstances)

Is anyone going to watch the fireworks? I was thinking about watching it from the Botanic Gardens

For all the decent vantage points you need to get there EARLY with picnic and Esky

Vast majority of them these days are alcohol free, which is a pest. I'm not saying you want to get langered, but a bottle of wine whilst you wait is hardly going to bring down civilisation. What particularly irks is that alcohol restrictions don't affect people going to corporate or high-ticket priced events on the islands or around Mrs Mac's Chair etc - one rule for one, one for the other eh? It sucks. Sad to say like too much in modern Australia, the fun police have to some extent ruined the event by over controlling and restricting it

Rant over. My pick of spots would be one of those in Birchgrove or Balmain (Leichhardt and Canada Bay councils are more sensible than the anal ones in the middle) or if you can stomach the no booze rule, Balls Head or Cremorne Point on the north shore - both lovely spots. Places in and around Circular Quay are unpleasantly heaving IME

• Like 2

For all the decent vantage points you need to get there EARLY with picnic and Esky

Vast majority of them these days are alcohol free, which is a pest. I'm not saying you want to get langered, but a bottle of wine whilst you wait is hardly going to bring down civilisation. What particularly irks is that alcohol restrictions don't affect people going to corporate or high-ticket priced events on the islands or around Mrs Mac's Chair etc - one rule for one, one for the other eh? It sucks. Sad to say like too much in modern Australia, the fun police have to some extent ruined the event by over controlling and restricting it

Rant over. My pick of spots would be one of those in Birchgrove or Balmain (Leichhardt and Canada Bay councils are more sensible than the anal ones in the middle) or if you can stomach the no booze rule, Balls Head or Cremorne Point on the north shore - both lovely spots. Places in and around Circular Quay are unpleasantly heaving IME

Yeah, the one place I am thinking about going in the Botanic Gardens is a $360 entry fee, with three course meal. No hassle, no need to get early as it won't be packed! :)

But while I write this I just checked the website and it's... SOLD OUT! sugar...

• Like 1

Prices for anywhere doing sit down food with a view are eye-watering

Try Doyle's at Watsons Bay. It's a Sydney Institution, food can be patchy but it's in a lovely spot and with a fantastic (if slightly more distant, but you'll see them all) view back towards the city. Not as spendy as some places either, booking essential:

http://www.doyles.com.au/14794+0+new-years-eve-2013-beach-restaurant.htm

• Like 1

Prices for anywhere doing sit down food with a view are eye-watering

Try Doyle's at Watsons Bay. It's a Sydney Institution, food can be patchy but it's in a lovely spot and with a fantastic (if slightly more distant, but you'll see them all) view back towards the city. Not as spendy as some places either, booking essential:

http://www.doyles.com.au/14794 0 new-years-eve-2013-beach-restaurant.htm

Oh, thanks for the tip!

Will look into it

• Like 1

Yeah, the one place I am thinking about going in the Botanic Gardens is a $360 entry fee, with three course meal. No hassle, no need to get early as it won't be packed! :)

But while I write this I just checked the website and it's... SOLD OUT! sugar...

Gutted :-(

Had the same thought, no hassle and not too bad price compared to some!! but we were very lucky managed to get our tickets on presale Yay! - sorry :-(

But there are 2 other ticketed events in the botanics, think its 'Harbour lights' and 'lawn with a view', more picnic style but cheaper tickets, if they have some left?

probably a little late for a lot of events now, but a tip for next year, sign up to the newsletters for the events you may want to go to, they email you as soon as tickets are released, and often do a special pre sale too!

If you want something that has the food etc and not having to camp out all day,as Northshorepom said, the prices are eye-watering, but if you don't mind paying for less hassle, there are a few other events that may be worth checking out - all very central though (I'm a city girl and still don't know many of the good 'local' places) - so probably a littl touristy, but

Check out Luna park - Harbourparty.com

Taronga Zoo has a great view too

The opera bar has a beach party - one of the best views of the bridge, but so so crowded!

The sebel at pier one has an all inclusive package

and.........

If you really want to push the boat out, take a cruise on the harbour! - terrible pun, I know!!

captain cook cruises have some great all inclusive packages, but will set you back a LOT!!

But there are some great views from loads of places round the harbour, I was in Drummoyne on friday and had a cracking view! - But plan something soon - its only 9 weeks away!!!

• Like 1

Hi ppl we are from Perth and we will be on SYD Airport on 31.12 arround 22.30 and idea is to get to firework on time . :D

Options;

Train ;

Taxi

Train from Airport

We booked Hotel i Prramatta:( , so we have to get there after event , we will have luggage ...

Any suggestions ...

Thanks

Definitely Train!! Parking in the city can be a nightmare and very expensive at the best of times, and then there's the traffic....!!!

I'm not sure on the timetable for NYE, but the trains from the airport into the city usually run about every 10 mins and take maybe 10-15 max to the city - although I would guess some stations will be restricted, circular quay very likely!! But they usually put on special trains for big events in Sydney, so you shouldn't have a problem getting one! - check out 131500.com for all transport info

• Like 1

Trains run late on NYE and they put on extra services as well

Still a hassle, mind. Tried to catch the train back from Milson's Pt one year and, well.....fugeddaboutit. Walked up the hill to North Sydney in the end, and that was still pretty bad

Better than taxis, though ;)

Basically getting around on NYE is just a pain, got to put up with it if you want to go. No easy way of shifting a million people or so in a few hours

• Like 1

Options;

Train ;

Taxi

Train from Airport

Any suggestions ...

Thanks

Haven't been living in Sydney for that long, but even now the traffic could be a huge pain in the neck, so I can't image what would be on NYE, so renting a car won't do it for you. If there is a chance of catching an earlier flight would be best, but otherwise I don't really know what to tell you...