Sign in to follow this  
Guest matthewroberts

Castlecrag, Northbridge, Killarney

Guest matthewroberts

Hi

We are trying to settle on a suburb to live in when we move over to Sydney in 6 months time.

We are hoping to get a 3 or 4 bedroom place in the catchment area for Killarney Heights high school. The catchment includes Castlecrag, Northbridge, Killarney and Forestville.

We have seen some places for rent around $800 - $950 p/w (not sure exactly what we can afford yet - still trying to work out the budget). Between my wife and I, we should make $120k gross (ish) once things are up and running. possibly more... depending if my wife does 3,4 or 5 days a week.

Our criteria would be:

• 1 hour and under to the CBD for work commute (less is better!)
  • Decent state high school (non selective), and good primary school.
  • can get to the beach in maybe 20 mins
  • Nice outdoors stuff to do, parks etc
  • Safe and good for kids

In addition to this it would be nice if there were a few things to do where we lived. Places to eat or have a beer etc (nice but not essential). If anyone has any advice, that would be good.

I have already seem a lot of good tips about this on PIO from people like North Shore Pom - but thought I'd double check, as we will be booking our arrival accommodation soon, and will need to narrow our options.

We have also looked at the Shire as there are a few good schools there and maybe other parts of the north shore (in the catchment for Davidson HS)

We are also into the eastern suburbs, but we'd need to live in Randwick, Coogee or Kingsford to be in the catchment for Randwick Girls school - and it seems like we wouldn't be able to afford to live there unless we loved in a small house. We might end up driving each other around the bend!