Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mary Rose

Day trip to Richmond, Kurrajong, and Bowen Mountain.

Guest Mary Rose

Not really a day trip because, typically, I did not leave until mid arvo. I just went for a drive on a whim, down Crown Street, over the Harbour Bridge, half thinking of going up to the Central Coast, but then went through the Lane Cove Tunnel. Then I followed the M2/M7 as far as Richmond Road, (nearly went off at Pennant Hills Road, still thinking of going north, and wondering if it's an easier, if longer and dearer journey to the F3 - M1 I think I should say?)

I think it was 66 kilometres to Richmond from Surry Hills. I liked Richmond too, stopped next to a park/oval, and went for a walk. Came to the local courthouse, and got my Seniors' card application verified by the JP there. That was a bit of luck, as I'd not known where to go. I went into one of the local pubs - Royal Hotel I think for an OJ - $4, as dear as Surry Hills.

Richmond had the feeling of a proper 'town' rather than a suburb, one of the original Macquarie towns too. (What are the others? Windsor, Cooktown, one more - Castlereagh? Windsor has that small town feeling too.)

I went down a couple of streets with attractive homes, walking distance to the shops and services, sort of street I thought I would like to live.

I went on through North Richmond, over the Hawkesbury, did not stop there, but I did stop in Kurrajong, which is like a village, almost English style? Towns and villages are one of the things that I miss about England. Kurrajong seemed to have all the services you'd need - doctors, chemist, restaurants, not sure about a pub?

I could not resist going on up to Bowen Mountain, in the Blue Mts foothills, I guess? It's an odd - to me - suburb, very nice homes, some with great views, but there are no services - shops, schools, church, or I did not see them. I like to have places that I can walk to. The next day I was crook with a cold at home, but at least I could make it to the shop 30 metres from my front door for a loaf of bread. In a place like Bowen Mountain, you'd have to rely on a neighbour if you were not up to driving down to Kurrajong?

Maybe I am just seeing things from a single person's point of view, and one who has always had shops/pubs etc within easy walking distance of my home.

My cold got worse as I was driving home, and a couple of times, I had to slow and/or pull over to sneeze. I LOVE Australia, but there's one thing you don't do and that is to slow down below 20 kph OVER the speed limit!

Someone was on here or PIO, perhaps asking about commuting from Kellyville/Glenwood area to the city, and I was interested in the T-Way alongside Old? Windsor Road, almost like a tram line? I stopped at Norwest to go into Maccas for the first time since New Year's Eve.

Is Norwest an industrial area or an actual suburb? There is loads of development up that way and the road is mostly dual carriagway from Windsor.

'Revolver' has finished, time to go back to bed.

Guest northshorepom

It probably is an easier journey to the M1 by using the LCT and M2, then Pennant Hills Rd but by, it's a pricey one. You'd cop for over $10 in tolls each way, not including the harbour crossing

Pac Hwy is probably no slower as it's more direct, so long as you can tolerate the traffic lights! When they put the M1-M2 tunnel in, there's no direct link proposed between the new link and the M2 to or from the city, you'll have to come off at P/H Rd and dive back into the new tunnel or vie versa, seems like an oversight to me. Surely it is in the government's interest to try and encourage as much traffic as possible off the Pac Hwy, it's certainly in Transurban's interest!

I like going that way up to the Blue Mountains - Bells Line of Road is a lovely drive and never that busy, way nicer than using the GWH which I always find a massive pain in the ar5e. So have travelled through Windsor and Richmond a fair bit.....they feel like proper country towns, which is pretty rare here, not bad places at all.

Guest franfran
There's a rather nice nursery half way between Kurrajong and Bowen Mountain: http://www.honeysuckle-cottage.com.au/.

Well worth a visit....

We were up there on Sunday and, I regret to say, the nursery is not really worth a visit unless you happen to be passing by. The owner is getting on a bit in years now, and the place is looking rather run down. By all means call in if you're in the area but, if you make it the focus of your day out, I think you might be a bit disappointed.

Guest franfran

If you're headed out that way and are near Kurrajong, the butcher's shop is well worth a visit (unless you're a vegetarian of course). It's one of the best ones in Sydney.

Guest Mary Rose

I went to Windsor on Sunday arvo, 60 kilometres from Surry Hills via Harbour Bridge, Lane Cove Tunnel, M2/M7. I like Windsor (and Richmond) too, had a walk along the river, and country lane, and into the church (1820), and a middy in Macquarie Arms hotel, shopped in Woolies too.

Guest franfran

We walked along the river, shopped in Woolies and visited the markets on the same day. I wonder if our paths crossed.....

Guest Mary Rose
We walked along the river, shopped in Woolies and visited the markets on the same day. I wonder if our paths crossed.....

Could have done! I arrived about three pm though, ate my sandwich sitting in the car, then walked towards the mountains along the river, and came back into town along a real country lane, Did you go for a drink in one of the pubs? I had a middy in the Macquarie, actually my last beer, as I had my hernia operation on Monday, and I've not had a beer since!

I miss living in The New Forest and being able to go to different villages like Lyndhurst, Ashurst, Brockenhurst. Going to places like Windsor and Richmond is a little like that. Maybe when I get my bike, I'll be able to put it on the train, then have a ride around places like that.