Sign in to follow this  
Guest laux

Finding it hard to get work

Guest laux

Hi,

I have been in Australia for almost 11 months and I have only had 2 temporary jobs which i got through agencies in Sydney.

I have a strong background in Customer Service, Call Centre and Travel and since getting here last year, I have had endless meetings with recruitment agencies who have all said the same thing- we'll be in touch and hopefully have work for you next week. I never hear anything back and when I ring to chase them up, they say they don't have any work available.

Has anyone else had similar situations as it's getting quite stressful and annoying. :cool:

Guest Mary Rose

I have found it hard to get similar work, putting in well over a hundred applications, and going six months without work. Two years ago, I got a contract with the ATO, who keep employing me and extending my contract, but it's casual work, so I never know how many hours I will get.

Perhaps you could try applying some companies directly rather than through agencies, or try for different types of work. What about applying to Coles/Woolies/Bunnings, or do your RSA and try for bar work?

Guest Baxtersinc

Have you also searched and applied through seek? There are lots of data entry roles available in the city, I know is boring but could be a start/ foot in the door to something more exciting and/or permanent.

I started off on a WHV in data entry ( very similar experience to yourself ) then they promoted me within 3 months to Customer Service Manager, sponsored me and gave a huge raise!

The job I started with was hideous, worst job I ever had but it lead to something better than I ever could have anticipated.

Perhaps it's worth applying directly even if the company is not advertising?

Wishing you luck, it certainly can be hard.