Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jason

Moving to Sydney, Suburb help!!

Guest Jason

Hi there,

I have been searching the web for sometime now regarding place to move to but taught I'd post here and save hours of research!

Our story is as follows,,,

My wife's job will be located on York St she wants to live near the beach take into account I hope to get work in 2/3 months (we depart from Ireland in 2 weeks, no panic free accommodation for 30 days!!!) my work will most likely be around the Alexandria or Mascot area, We also have a 20 month old son she wanted to live in Manly but i think it's too touristy for me or maybe it's perfect to live there?? I am worried about my travel time to work she wants somewhere lower north shore I am easy I just don't want to travel more than 1 hour to work in the mornings (I'm sure manly to mascot by car in heavy traffic is madness!!) we will eventually get a car so I am thinking of an area with good public transport, family friendly, not too far from cbd by car (traffic!!), close to the beach but not strict parks and lakes are ok if not so close to the beach, good childcare selection etc. She also likes Mosman but I heard it quite snobby ?? (Sorry snobby people!!) it doesn't have to be lower northshore just as long as it's not too far from both our work areas and has plenty to do for kids.

Would really appreciate your help on this hours of research and I am no closer to making a decision hope you can help with the selection.

Thanks in advance,

Rgds

Jason

Guest northshorepom

Budget is the main consideration for many. Living near the beach is never cheap but if you're OK with apartment living then it's usually do-able

If you are likely to be working in Alexandria/Mascot (some form of airport service/shipping?) and with a wife working in the CBD, then Eastern Suburbs would seem to be the obvious choice if you want beach proximity whilst keeping the commute sensible. It is expensive, but then so is the lower north shore.

Manly is nice, but the commuting from there to the airport will be a (big) pain, going over the harbour every day gets pretty old pretty quickly

Both north and south of the harbour, there is little in the way of trains going out to the coast (the lines go over the bridge) so you're likely to be reliant on buses - network is quite extensive so this isn't really a problem

Guest Mary Rose

I know Mosman is an expensive place to buy a home, but I would not say it is 'snobby!' I sometimes go over to Balmoral Beach for a swim there, and it's just like any other suburb. If you want to live there, and can afford to do so, then why not, except that, as Northshorepom says, it's a bit of a hassle going over the Bridge (or through the Tunnel) every day.

If both your jobs are in the CBD and south of the city, and you want to live near a beach, then look around Bondi/Bronte/Clovelly/Coogee, maybe Maroubra and Malabar too. (There is a HUGE new development going up down White Bay way.) (I think it is White Bay anyway, on the site of the old hospital - Prince Henry perhaps.)

Guest Mary Rose

Not 'White Bay!' (That is out Glebe way where the cruise ships now berth?) 'Little Bay!

Guest Bennyp

The Northern Beaches is a great place to live, great investment wise too. Travelling from there to Mascot though will be a hassle. There are no train lines along the beaches too. If you want a place closer to mascot and near a beach consider the Coogee area. http://www.century21.com.au/real-estate/residential/buy/nsw/2034/coogee/?suburbs More affordable, close to Mascot and CBD, and on the beach.