Sign in to follow this  
Guest RickyUK

Richmond to Penrith (And everywhere inbetween)

Guest RickyUK

I'm looking for advice on the nicer places to stay in the area of Richmond to Penrith. We won't have the benefit of being able to do a reccie and I really want to narrow down a target area as much as possible before we jump straight in. It's likely that we will arrive in Australia and I will immediately head offshore (Dampier/Broome) leaving the missus and kids alone for 5+ weeks.

I'd love some input from people who know the area.

My main consideration points are:

Schools (good schools, hopefully private when the kids are older. St Pauls?)

Transport (Trains to the city and buses to get around)

Good neighbourhoods.

Guest northshorepom

Hi Ricky

Any particular reason why that area? There's not a lot between Richmond and Penrith, it's way out in the countryside

As for transport, there are only two relevant train lines, both branches of the Western Line; the line splits at Blacktown; one branch goes to Richmond by way of Windsor, the other goes through Mt Druitt etc to Penrith and then on to Emu Plains (this line continues as the Blue Mountains line, there are fairly frequent trains as far as Lithgow

I would avoid the suburbs east of Penrith towards Blacktown (Mt Druitt, St Marys etc). These are some of the most deprived areas of Sydney

Guest Kirsty

Hi Ricky,

We moved to Penrith from the UK 8 months ago and we are very happy here. We stay in a new estate called Jordan Springs which is approximately 10 minutes (by car) to the CBD/Train station etc. There is also a new bus route servicing the area which is very reliable and gets you to the train station in 20 minutes.

It takes us 45 mins to travel by car to North Sydney and my husband commutes to Sydney CBD by train which takes him 55 mins - 1 hour. He is delighted with the journey time as it took him longer to travel to his office in the UK. The Blue Mountains are a 30-45 min drive away too and are definitely a sight not to be missed!

Since moving here, we have had many people ask "Why on earth do you want to live in Penrith?" and we have also had comments such as: "That's Penrith for you!", however, when we ask those people when they last visited Penrith, they cannot remember; I'm guessing it has changed and improved somewhat since they last visited! ;) I do concur with northshorepom's advice to avoid suburbs such as Mt Druitt, St Marys etc, purely due to these areas suffering from deprivation.

There are a number of good schools in the area; both Primary and High Schools. The ones in close proximity to us are:

Primary Schools:

Samuel Terry Public School

Henry Fulton Public School

Llandilo Public School

Corpus Christi Primary School

High Schools:

Cranebrook High

Penrith High (selective)

St. Dominic's College (private)

Xavier College (private)

If none of the schools listed above are suitable, you can contact your preferred school and fill out a Non-local application which may be considered by the school's enrolment panel.

We have been impressed with the quality of eduction provided here, plus our 6 year old has settled in extremely well which has definitely made the transition much easier.

Good luck with everything!

Guest Mary Rose

Since I started working in Penrith, a couple of years ago, I've grown to appreciate it but leaving your wife and kids alone for five weeks somewhere new might be a shock to their system? Maybe find somewhere close to the centre of Penrith and its station/bus interchange, where there are plenty of shops and services. There is an excellent train service from Penrith to Sydney - 50 minutes to Central. You might like Richmond or Windsor.

Guest RickyUK

Thanks so much for the replies, I very much appreciate the guidance. We are swaying towards Leonay or Glenbrook.

We are due to arrive on the 12th May, but appears impossible to pre arrange a rental so we will have to go into something temporary until we get setup .

Thankfully my wife is experienced in being abandoned in foreign lands, having been abandoned in the Middle East for 4 months when we first moved here.

Guest Kirsty

Leonay is a beautiful area Ricky and a lot of properties get a great view of the Blue Mountains . Hope you can find somewhere that suits you all!

Guest RickyUK

Thanks Kirsty for the positive feedback on Leonay. We have found a temporary place in Penrith to tidy us over, so it's looking good for the move.

Guest RickyUK

So eventually we have ended up in a temporary place in Dulwich Hill for the first 6 weeks and then will move to a long term rental in the outer suburbs later, but Leonay still seems one of the places we are really keen to check out.

Less then a week after we arrive I will be flying across to Perth and then Karattha for my work, so the responsibility to move falls on my wife's shoulders. Also no idea when our stuff will arrive as my current employer have covered our flights and shipping to Oz.

Guest franfran

Funny you should mention Dulwich Hill - my grandparents came to Australia from Scotland in the 1950s and stayed in temporary accommodation there for a few months until they found a place in Lindfield.

We moved house last year and Leonay was one suburb we were considering, and we looked at a few places there, but in the end we settled on Castle Hill.

Guest RickyUK
Funny you should mention Dulwich Hill - my grandparents came to Australia from Scotland in the 1950s and stayed in temporary accommodation there for a few months until they found a place in Lindfield.

We moved house last year and Leonay was one suburb we were considering, and we looked at a few places there, but in the end we settled on Castle Hill.

Thanks for your reply, out of curiosity what made you decide on Castle Hill and how do you find it?

Guest franfran

We were living in western Sydney previously and were looking at quite a few possible locations. Our main criteria was that we wanted to be close to a good shopping centre and all other facilities and we wanted a property that would be around $900,000 - no higher.. The North Shore ended up being a bit too expensive unless we were to compromise on the closeness to facilities - or unless we wanted to buy a property in need of substantial renovation. As it turned out, we found a place in Castle Hill just a short distance from Castle Towers that was on the market for $900k and needed nothing done to it, other than perhaps a bathroom renovation. It's only a few years old, so there's not much to do.

After seeing what $1,200,000 could buy us in the inner west, it only took us a few minutes to sign.....