Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lucy-lou

What to do with a 4 & 7 yr old?

Guest Lucy-lou

Hi

We arrived in sydney on weds and are currently in temp accommodation in parramatta, are there any suggestions or recommendations of things to do? We've come into the city today on the ferry which was lovely and seen the opera house which led us into the botanical gardens, which although its all very pretty, it's also boring for the kids and just involves too much walking around. I feel gutted as we're not getting the most out of our visit and feel we should've planned it better, can anyone recommend where is a good starting point or the best wsy to see the sights? Many thanks xxx

Guest northshorepom

Depends what your kids like to do to a large extent. My 6-yr old loves bits of Luna Park, his favourite bit is "Coney Island" which is a big wooden building full of old-fashioned stuff like slides - one ticket gets you in there so you don't have to buy an expensive pass for the whole thing. He also likes golf (quite a few crazy golf/putt putt places around) and the Powerhouse Museum in Ultimo - lots of interactive stuff there for kids. Also look at Darling Harbour, playground there is fab and your kids are just the right age for the water play area - plus they have lots of free festivals/events on through the year there

Unfortunately with the end of the summer holidays, a lot of the kids events that were on have just finished, it will be a few weeks before other stuff gets going.

Guest Lucy-lou

Thank you, we are currently at darling harbour we used our day pass and got on the bus after speaking to some friends of ours in perth who have just been to sydney! It's great here and kids having a whale of time in water park! :0)

I will check out lunar park as i've heard that is good and also a trip to manly one day. Many thanks xx

Guest northshorepom

Glad you found DH - the water park is ace, isn't it?

Get on the Olympic Park website too - they do lots of things for kids (sadly you've just missed the tons of stuff on in the summer hols), there are code/clue trails which are always fun, another superb playground at Blaxland Park just by Newington Armoury (north side of the Olympic Park), bike hire if your kids are old enough/OK at cycling (and it's flat, which is rare here).....

Lake Parramatta is nice for a walk/picnic/BBQ near where you're staying

Good luck

:)

Guest franfran

If the children like animals, Featherdale Wildlife Park might be worth considering. It is a zoo, but it's smaller than Taronga Zoo and it's very much oriented towards small children and with the emphasis on native animals. It's also not far from Parramatta, unlike other children's attractions, which mostly seem to be nearer to or in the City.

http://www.featherdale.com.au/

Guest Mary Rose

Featherdale? Is that the one at Blacktown? I see it from the train on the way to and from work at Penrith. I keep meaning to go out there. On the other side of the railway line, in about the same spot, between Blacktown and Doonside, is a rather attractive housing estate of semi-detached homes that always reminds me of England. Next to a 'bush' park and I always wanted to have a closer look.

Bronte is a nice beach to take kids, as it's got a natural rock pool which is usually very calm (not when surf is big though) and it's got the little train that the kids seem to love in the park behind the beach.

Guest franfran
Featherdale? Is that the one at Blacktown? I see it from the train on the way to and from work at Penrith. I keep meaning to go out there. On the other side of the railway line, in about the same spot, between Blacktown and Doonside, is a rather attractive housing estate of semi-detached homes that always reminds me of England. Next to a 'bush' park and I always wanted to have a closer look.

It's at Doonside, if you want to be pedantic, but Doonside is right next to Blacktown so we're talking about the same place. It's a great place to take smaller children, because it's set up for them, rather than for adults. You could easily spend half a day there with small children and they would love it.

The Koala Park on Castle Hill Road is another place that would be suitable for children.