Dave Glynn

Which Area if for Us?

Hi All,

I'm looking to relocate to the Sydney area with my wife and son.

We'll have around a $600,000 budget and would like a 3 bed (or more) house with lots of outdoor space, easy to get to IT companies in Sydney.

A friend is living in the Northern Beaches area but we are open to any area really.

Are there any areas to avoid (in terms of poor access to the city, crime etc)

We are really new to this, so go easy :-)

Best wishes

Dave

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but I think you are going to change either your budget or the location or type of property you want. You wouldn't be able to buy a half decent house in the Northern Beaches for $600,000. At that price you will probably need to look in the south-western or western suburbs for a house.

Have a look at realestate.com.au to get an idea of prices in the various parts of Sydney.

Agreed, budget or location needs to give.

There are some very decent suburbs in Western Sydney where you can still buy a 3/4 bed home for $600k but obvs it won't be cafe culture and you would need to drive everywhere for entertainment. Some beautiful suburbs though

Sydney is such a huge city that you could be spending an hour or two commuting each way to work. I live in Surry Hills, which is very close to the City, and I work in Penrith, 55 kilometres west. The train journey is usually pleasant enough, taking 50 to 70 minutes, depending on the train, and I have a five minute walk at either end. You could get a decent home in Penrith for around $600,000 too, and since I've been working there, I've grown to rather like the area. It's a long way to the beach though, and whilst the train service is OK, the drive into the City is not pleasant, especially during the rush hour.

Maybe find out where you are likely to be working, and see how close you can live to that area, and what what the roads and public transport are like?

Penrith is not too bad, and some places around it are quite nice but, if you are considering this area, I would suggest Leonay or possibly Emu Heights instead.

When we were looking at places last year, we did seriously consider Leonay and went to a couple of open homes there.