Mary Rose

I had very nice meal at 'Effendi' in Balmain tonight with Alex (Turkish food.)

Totally unplanned meal out too. Alex wanted to go to Rozelle to check out a 'greenie/organic' supermarket in Darling Street - 'About Life!' We did some shopping and I even bought a couple of things myself - organic potatoes and chemical free tomatoes. Alex is fanatical about 'organic' and 'green', preferably both. I don't know why I am so disbelieving of it, although everything there seems to have exactly the same levels of salt and sugar, and additives for that matter.

We had a walk around Rozelle and Balmain - not sure where the dividing line is - partly along Darling St, and partly off on the side streets. The homes are similar to Surry Hills but it is much more hilly there, guess Darling St basically follows a ridge, and you get good views over both the Anzac Bridge and the Harbour Bridge.

We came upon 'Effendi' and Alex seemed keen to go in (no money though!) so 'Gentleman Dave' said 'I'll shout you Alex!' I wrote down what we had, but it's in my other notebook that I keep in my car, but it was very nice - sort of pizza with lamb and salad on top (which I thought when ordering WAS a salad) and a bread topped with yoghurt and with feta cheese inside, and a dip. I must look on the website later and get the proper names. The dip was not the Lebanese ones - Babagamouch???? or Homous. Alex said the food reminded her of Serbia.

We had Turkish beer - 'ERES?' - glass of Pernod-like liqueur - can't remember the Turkish name, Turkish coffee, and one of those Lebanese-style sweets. $65.00 with my ungenerous $2.50 tip!

"Efes" will be the Turkish beer. It's.......OK. Drank lots of it when working in Kazakstan and Turkey

I like Turkish food (tbh most Middle Eastern food), but it can be very hit or miss. There is a big Turkish Cypriot community in Cambridge where I partly grew up. One of the Turkish restos back there (coincidentally it is called Efes....it is the Turkish name for the ancient city of Ephesus) is excellent

• Like 1

I always like to have a beer, and sometimes something stronger, from the country whose food I'm eating. (Is that good grammar?) I've sort of figured out that if the food is freshly made, it is usually good. I noticed that with 'falafel' anyway! But over the road from me are heaps of Lebanese places. You assum that if you are sitting down with a nice bottle of wine, full table service, etc, it's going to be better than getting a takeaway kebab, but chances are, the food comes from the same counter? I like that 'pide?' (a bit like a Cornish pasty but cut into pieces with lemon squeezed on top. Perhaps they should do that with pasties!?) I seem to recall that you put a Ginster in the oven for twenty minutes so you could boil up the spuds and carrots! I have an idea for those spuds I bought last night now. I don't actually eat much potato at the moment, pasta, rice and couscous, all being easier to prepare!

I have a Turkish friend who is something of a gourmet and loves 'Effendi' so I hope that means it IS good. Apart from the food, I have my own (odd?) quirks for liking or disliking restaurants. 'Effendi' has very clean toilets, with plenty of soap and towels, and the restaurant is roomy. Some places are nice but you are squeezed together like being on the Tube in the rush hour! Perhaps it is different when it is wet or cold and busy and they bring out extra tables, of course.

I remember having a very nice Thai curry in a place on Clovelly Road one evening after a swim but I asked if they had a loo, which meant clambering through a window onto the outside stairs, then going up to a not entirely pleasant loo with no sink. I had to ask them downstairs if I could use their sink to wash my hands.

I shall Google Efes!

• Like 1

I missed my chance to visit any of those spots during my twelve years in England. Carleon in South Wales was good though. Even better because I had never heard of it and only went there on a whim, following the 'ancient monument' signs.