Mary Rose

Burning my bridges/Crossing the Rubicon*/Thoughts on living in OZ.

* If I had not Googled this, I would still be thinking it was about Hades and (the?) Styx. Now, it seems entirely appropriate.

The Rubicon (Latin: Rubico, Italian: Rubicone) is a shallow river in northeastern Italy, about 80 kilometres long, running from the Apennine Mountains to the Adriatic Sea through the southern Emilia-Romagna region, between the towns of Rimini and Cesena. The Latin word rubico comes from the adjective "rubeus", meaning "red". The river was so named because its waters are colored red by mud deposits. It was key to protecting Rome from civil war.

The idiom "Crossing the Rubicon" means to pass a point of no return, and refers to Julius Caesar's army's crossing of the river in 49 BC, which was considered an act of insurrection. Because the course of the river has changed much since then, it is impossible to confirm exactly where the Rubicon flowed when Caesar and his legions crossed it, even though most evidence links it to the river officially so named. The river is perhaps most known as the place where Julius Caesar uttered the famous phrase "alea iacta est" – the die is cast.

I could have said 'burning my boats' too. Whatever! Talking with 'North Shore Pom' about cycling, then Googling 'Marlow', and finally a quick 'butchers' at the Mail online. (Why do people hate it when there are so many interesting articles!?) I'm not paying to access The Times anyway. I digress, waffle, go off the subject.

That is not a proper sentence of paragraph above. For some reason it made me think what it would be like to go back to England a third time? I still have my house there. I could move back into it, but what would it be like? My parents are not too far away in one respect, but in another, as far away as it is possible to go.

I could do it but I don't want to uproot myself for a fourth time (twice to OZ, once to England.)

You know what I think is really hard to do? Adopt the mindset of a native-born Aussie. Change from 'Sterling' to 'Currency!' They live here and (mostly) don't want to live anywhere else. And it IS difficult, coming from another country, to think like that!?

Has my die been cast?

Personally I couldn't live in the UK, hubby would go tomorrow.

I know a lot of my sons friends have taken a gap year to travel around Europe. Then you have the Brits backpacking over here. I suppose its always the thought that the grass is always greener on the other side.

• Like 1

What does you partner miss about the UK? The odd thing for me is that, in some respects, I am as obsessed with England. I read the Daily Mail and Telegraph sites every day, usually more than once, I watch Sky News UK overnight, or the BBC World News. I read all the football news and never miss a Spurs game (unless it's on ****ing Setanta, which I cannot get!) I keep meaning to listen to The Archers on line as that was the only soap I was into. I miss my rides and walks in The New Forest, but I have no desire to go back there.