Sallyann Thomas

Best place for a family to live in Sydney

Hello Sal, welcome to the forum.

Have you ever visited Sydney before, and do you have any particular areas in mind already?

Metoo

• Like 2

I'd like to help but the question is too broad really. There are loads of good places to live as a family, but one size doesn't fit all, bit like asking where is good to live for families in London for example

Most peoples' choice is dictated by budget first, work location/commuting tolerance second, and after that by personal preferences like whether or not they want (or think they need) to be close to the beach, or like a more inner city buzzy type of neighbourhood, or outer quiet suburbs........see what I mean?

We have a boy of 6 and a girl of 5 months and are quite happy where we live in the North Shore, but there are dozens of other good family suburbs, many very different

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

I'm new here, and would love to continue on Sal's original question for myself. We are looking at moving to Sydney in 1 or 2 months with my husband and 2 kids (4yrs & 1 1/2 yrs). My husband will be working in Pyrmont, and we are looking for least travel time for him, as well as a nice suburb with parks/walkways. Going by the ferry's it looks like Balmain/Birchgrove/Rozelle maybe Drummoyne may be good options? What about Annandale or Lillyfield? Of course I love the sound of the Coogee and near the beach, but we would prefer less travelling time (ideally 30min max in peak hour on public transport), so trying to find a nice looking area with fast transport to Pyrmont. I also read Neutral Bay was great for families, but not sure how great commute would be to Pyrmont. We are thinking of just having 1 car so my husband will use public transport, and i'll have the family car. Probably looking for $800 p/w for modern 3 bedroom with courtyard and car space. And just to add one more specification, I will need a preschool/kindy and ideally primary school (primary school is 2 yrs away, but ideally I don't want to pack and move again. :) so if any one has any advice and opinions that would be great! We have stayed in Darling Harbour for 1 month previously so i'm familiar with the cbd only.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 2

Hi Sarah

Neutral Bay is usually spoke of as being good for singles/couples more than families, although it's good for families too - just very expensive.

I think from your message that budget needs to be the first consideration followed by location for the commute. $800 a week isn't that much in the more expensive areas of Sydney, and most areas most convenient for Pyrmont are going to be those, not trying to put you off but choose carefully.

If you need public transport then look along the suburbs either side of Victoria Rd or City West Link/Parramatta Rd, as almost all the buses come down this major route to and through Pyrmont - so Rozelle, Annandale (probably too expensive), Lilyfield, Drummoyne, Five Dock, Canada Bay, Concord etc. If that's too expensive then out towards Gladesville/Ryde maybe

Almost all the Inner West is pretty good for families IMO so long as you don't want a sprawling 4+ bed house with a backyard pool. There are parks and bays/inlets everywhere.

I wouldn't get too hung up about a "modern" house either. Most of these areas were developed in 1910-1940 ish, and there is a lot of period property, attractive federation or California bungalows. Lots have been done up and I would hold out for that, but there aren't many new builds, not that kind of area (IMO this is a good thing, but everyone's different).

Also I wouldn't get too hung up about ferries as a usable daily commuting proposition. They're romantic, but they are also expensive and infrequent. Can be a pain if you are reliant on them (put it this way, my S-i-L lives 5 mins walk from the Neutral Bay ferry wharf and never uses it - buses are more frequent, cheaper, quicker and run later - or taxis for late nights)

One other warning, childcare/preschool is expensive and can be oversubscribed. Expect to have to hunt about, pay more than you'd like, and put yourself on multiple waiting lists. School is much less hassle as if you're in catchment, they have to take you. If you are on a 457 though you'll have to pay for that too

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for your feedback! Very helpful!! Think I may focus on the buses and light rail from your suggestion, and yes we may have to look at revising our preferred rental budget. I'm very happy with period property, as long as it's has modern kitchen & bathroom :). Thanks for the pre warning on preschools and childcare! That will be high on my agenda. So I think I'll be looking at inner west based on ease of quick travel time to Pyrmont and the idea that there are plenty of walkways and parks.

Thanks for your help so far!

:)

• Like 1

Is the inner west likely to be a fairly small house, but great links in and out of the city? (I would be most likely to work out that way). We are a family of 5 (kids will be 5,8 and 11 when we get there)

Because I was recommended that area by someone else in my business (advertising/design) for being able to get in and out of work

I would actually sugggest that you head down to Sydney before your intended move if you can adfford it. There's nothing like coming here to experience the city as a holiday destination first before you move here. You'll also get a better idea of where are the good neighbourhoods and how close you are to storage solutions and schools and the like. Wishing you all the best on your move though! Good luck!