Kirsty

10 days to go!

Hello folks,

It's now only 10 days until we leave to start our new adventure in Sydney. Reality is really starting to kick in now and I have to admit, I have been worrying somewhat, but seeing how excited the kids are is what's keeping me going!

Hubby assures me that I am going to adore Sydney and from what I have seen/read, I think he's right!

:happy:

If you love Sydney even half as much as we so, you will be fine! It is a huge move, and is only natural that you should feel nervous. It will be hard work and I can almost guarantee that there will be sleepless nights and tears, but it is totally worth it. Sydney is a wonderful place to live!

Good luck with it all!

Thank you for your reassuring words LKC, I appreciate it! I'm going to give this move my best shot as it's something me and my hubby have wanted for our family for a very long time.

I really cannot wait to see what Sydney has to offer; it looks amazing.

Thanks again :)

• Like 2

Not many days to go now! Given the weather over the past few days, I would definitely advise bringing some warm and waterproof clothes! I has been cold, wet and windy for a few days! Spring will soon be here though, with endless blue skies and warm sunshine!

• Like 1

Thanks LKC! 4 more sleeps as my little girl keeps telling me! Eeeek! Got everything finalised with our house sale today so that is a major relief!!

I actually popped to the shops earlier to get some warmer things for the kids and I as I sent the majority of our winter clothing etc on the crate. Oops!

Thanks for your kind advice :)

• Like 2

As LKC said its a bit cool ATM, but it doesn't last too long, daytime is usually very pleasant, but mornings and evenings can be cool ..... I find jeans and a sweater are suffice, for daytime ..... Layers are good ....

Good news about the house, not long now x x

• Like 1

It's been wet, chilly, windy and and miserable here. Not to put a downer on your mood but its best to be forewarned! Please don't let your first impressions of sydney be clouded (ohhohoho) by the rubbish weather! If anything, it'll make you feel right at home ;)

Hopefully it would have brightened by the time you arrive anyway. Best wishes for your trip

• Like 1

Thanks Love Shoes - I've got some sweaters and plenty of jeans packed just incase.

Can't wait to arrive but I'll probably be like a rabbit caught in the headlights! ;) Extremely relieved about the house as it means I can focus completely on our new life in Sydney. Thank you once again for your kind words and advice :) x

Thanks Lizzie T. You're right about the weather making me feel right at home; it's miserable here just now. I'm determined not to let rain cloud (lol) my first impressions of Sydney - it looks like an amazing city and I can't wait for us to feel at home there. Just going to take each day at a time and embrace it! Thanks for the well wishes :)

• Like 1

Once the rain is over the sunshine comes out, and then you will see Sydney at its absolute best!

If you need any info once you are here, please don't hesitate to ask. When we first arrived we couldn't find a supermarket, and I do remember crying because I couldn't buy food to feed my family! It was a bit of a shock to the system I think!

Thank you so much LKC, that's really kind of you! Had a pretty emotional day saying goodbye to my Grans so I feel a tad drained. Still looking forward to seeing Sydney in all it's glory though :) Thanks again!

• Like 2

Thank you Kate, I will be sure to post my thoughts - I just have a gut feeling they will be positive :)

I am sure they will ..... oh and don't forget to post some photos on our photo thread .... safe trip x x

Thanks Love Shoes, that's a great thread! I'll be sure to continue my photo taking and add to it (if I can work out how to! Lol!)

How are you? I just wanted to say "Hello" as we finally have our wifi working. Yay! I also wanted to let you, Kate and LKC know that we are loving Sydney!! All of your advice was greatly received and I invested in warm PJs, jackets etc which were needed when we first arrived.

We've been and done the touristy things and now we're getting to know the area we are living in and we are really happy with our choice. I know there will be down days when I miss home etc but our experiences so far have been really positive and I can't wait to see what the future holds.......Sydney style!!!! :)

Oooooh, one thing I have been wondering about is regarding leaving tips. Do you tip your hairdressers or beauticians? This was something that I did back in the UK and when the time comes to find a hairdresser etc, I wouldn't want to offend either way. Thanks very much.

Hope everyone is well :) :) x

• Like 2

Lovely to hear from you Kirsty,

So pleased your loving your new life in OZ .....

I am fine, hopefully the girls are too ....

Hairdressers .... I do and I don't .... I have offered in a couple of places and they won't take it .... usually stick something in the jar if there is one on the counter ... I tipped in Sydney a few weeks ago after having a lovely pedicure, I tipped 10% .... I think 10% is acceptable .....

Looking forward to hearing more about your new life ..... good luck babes x x

• Like 1

Hi Kirsty lovely to hear from you, sounds like you are getting settled. Re hairdressers, after my experience in Sydney where they charged me $500 I didn't leave a tip :arghh:

Seriously it isn't normal to tip, however if I've had a good service then I will

• Like 2

Thank you lovely ladies; again, your replies are invaluable. :hug:

Hope you are well and you're having a good day so far. My little boy is unwell today so we are just having a day indoors until he feels better. Feeling a bit tired as I haven't stopped to breathe since we arrived! Lol!

Take care :) x

• Like 1

Thank you lovely ladies; again, your replies are invaluable. :hug:

Hope you are well and you're having a good day so far. My little boy is unwell today so we are just having a day indoors until he feels better. Feeling a bit tired as I haven't stopped to breathe since we arrived! Lol!

Take care :) x

Oh no, hope he gets well soon. No wonder your exhausted its a big move you have just made :hug:

Take one day at a time. What suburb have you chose?

• Like 1

Thank you. Think it's maybe a mixture of the cold and exhaustion with the little man. He's only 3 so it's been a bit draining for him too I think.

We chose Jordan Springs in Penrith and we're really liking it. Hubby likes the rail link to Sydney, we've found a brilliant doctors surgery and my daughter's primary school is really close.......All plus points for us :)

Which suburb do you stay in? We stayed in North Sydney with friends when we first arrived and absolutely loved it. Think we've made the right choice here though. Well, fingers crossed ;)

• Like 2

I'm sorry that your little boy isn't well. Our youngest picked up a bug on the plane, and ended up being taken to hospital by ambulance with suspected meningitis two days after we arrived! I think a couple of quiet days would be just the right thing to do! I am pleased that you arrived safely and that you are enjoying Sydney so far. We have had a warmish couple of days, although it has been cold at night, but spring and then summer will soon be here!

I don't tend to tip, I don't think that it is expected over here as much as in the UK. I haven't thought to ask any of my Aussie friends to see what they do.

I hope you continue to keep in touch and let us know how you go.

• Like 2

I'll be sure to do that Kate as I've got plenty of places on my 'still to see' list so hopefully I'll be an expert soon :)

Thanks LKC. How awful for that to happen to you two days after you arrived :( It's never easy when the little ones are ill, although he's running about like mad at the minute so you wouldn't think he was unwell at all! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your response/advice. I'd love to keep in touch as this forum has been extremely beneficial. Got everything crossed that we can be as happy as you, Kate and Love Shoes are here :) :)

• Like 2