Kirsty

10 days to go!

I'll be sure to do that Kate as I've got plenty of places on my 'still to see' list so hopefully I'll be an expert soon :)

Thanks LKC. How awful for that to happen to you two days after you arrived :( It's never easy when the little ones are ill, although he's running about like mad at the minute so you wouldn't think he was unwell at all! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your response/advice. I'd love to keep in touch as this forum has been extremely beneficial. Got everything crossed that we can be as happy as you, Kate and Love Shoes are here :) :)

Just be warned it is hard at first and your emotions will be everywhere but it happens to us all so if it does hit you your not alone.

• Like 1

I've had some down days and some "what the heck am I doing?!?!?!" days in the run up but know that I just have to take each day at a time. I'll probably be a snivelling wreck some days but I'm hoping things will get easier once I make friends (hopefully I will!) and I can really start to call this fabulous place home. The kids love it and seeing the positive effect the move has had on them is keeping me going.

Thank you Kate :hug:

• Like 1

I've had some down days and some "what the heck am I doing?!?!?!" days in the run up but know that I just have to take each day at a time. I'll probably be a snivelling wreck some days but I'm hoping things will get easier once I make friends (hopefully I will!) and I can really start to call this fabulous place home. The kids love it and seeing the positive effect the move has had on them is keeping me going.

Thank you Kate :hug:

I think it is only natural that we will have up days and down days .... I remember when I first moved abroad 6 years ago, I was a mess when the penny dropped, leaving my family behind really hit me hard .... I still have bad days now, its human nature, ... I am hoping to start work soon which hopefully will help me, as being out of work has really hit me .... you will find the forums are a good place to make friends .... I have made quite a few really nice friends through Kate's forums and they aren't just passing ships in the night type of friends .. if you know what I mean ....

:hug:

• Like 2

I think it is only natural that we will have up days and down days .... I remember when I first moved abroad 6 years ago, I was a mess when the penny dropped, leaving my family behind really hit me hard .... I still have bad days now, its human nature, ... I am hoping to start work soon which hopefully will help me, as being out of work has really hit me .... you will find the forums are a good place to make friends .... I have made quite a few really nice friends through Kate's forums and they aren't just passing ships in the night type of friends .. if you know what I mean ....

:hug:

Thanks Love Shoes! It really does help to hear that I'm not the only one with mixed emotions (I know I'm not the first and won't be the last, however, the reassurance does help.......if that even makes sense?!) My mum and dad were having a BBQ with my sister and brother-in-law last night which made me feel a bit down as we weren't there :( I just keep reminding myself of the reasons that hubby and I had for moving us out here in the first place.........hopefully that will get me through the tough times!

Have you been successful on the job front Love Shoes? Hope everything goes well for you as I imagine finding employment will make things feel more 'normal' (whatever that is!) I hope to return to work once my little boy starts pre-school but I've got a year to wait so just need to make the most of things just now.

I hope I am fortunate enough to make some good friends via the forums and in my local area (I must be sounding desperate now - LOL!) as building up a network of friends will hopefully help make the transition easier. Hubby isn't as worried about making friends as I am but I think that's because he has been working here since March and has made a circle of friends through work.

I know I've said it before, but the forums have been invaluable to me and I really do appreciate you and the other lovely ladies taking the time to reply.

Hope you've had a good weekend so far :)

Take care :hug:

If I was down in Sydney Kirsty I would meet up with you, but I only tend to come down when I'm having an op. So we will have to be virtual friends until I'm next down lol.

How is the little one today?

• Like 1

Thanks Kate, that's really kind of you. I'll settle for the virtual friendship ;) I hope your ops are just routine and aren't for anything too serious :hug:

Thanks for asking how my son is. Unfortunately he suffers from childhood asthma which gets worse whenever he gets a cold/infection. He is suffering at the moment but luckily I stocked up on his inhalers before we left. He's a wee trouper though and never complains but it looks like he's sharing the germs with me and his sister as we both have sore throats. Ah well, they do say sharing is caring! Lol!

Hope you're good and your week has started off well :)

Hi Kirsty

I suffer from Asthma it started around 12 years ago and I only get one episode a year usually with a cold or flu and end up in hospital. I usually end up on predisone so maybe consider them if it isn't settling.

Sorry you have come down with it, since my cancer I get everything the kids bring home sometimes I feel like locking myself away in a bubble lol.

So what have you planned for this week?

• Like 1

Thank you for the tip Kate, I will keep it in mind :) His cough seems to be subsiding so I'm hoping his body is learning to fight it. Wish I could take it away from him :(

I'm sorry to learn that you had cancer :( I do hope that you're well now! Doesn't seem fair that you are now prone to catching everything the kids bring home and that you suffer from asthma :( I'll keep my eyes open for that bubble so you can keep yourself germ free ;)

I've found today to be extremely chilly (may be as a result of how I'm feeling) so I resorted to going to the supermarket for some essentials, weeded the front garden, as it was annoying me, and then I just cleaned and tidied the house. Living up to my 'stay at home mum' label now. Lol!

I'm hoping we all feel a bit more human tomorrow and I'll take the kids to the park and then I think I'm going to take them to Taronga Zoo on Thursday as we got the annual pass thingie. I've not enrolled my daughter for school yet as she only just finished primary 1 before we flew out to Sydney so I'm enjoying spending quality time with her. I'm going to enrol her in August so that she's had a chance to have a summer holiday like her friends back home :)

Do you have any nice plans for the week?

• Like 1

I've found today to be extremely chilly (may be as a result of how I'm feeling) so I resorted to going to the supermarket for some essentials, weeded the front garden, as it was annoying me, and then I just cleaned and tidied the house. Living up to my 'stay at home mum' label now. Lol!

I'm hoping we all feel a bit more human tomorrow and I'll take the kids to the park and then I think I'm going to take them to Taronga Zoo on Thursday as we got the annual pass thingie. I've not enrolled my daughter for school yet as she only just finished primary 1 before we flew out to Sydney so I'm enjoying spending quality time with her. I'm going to enrol her in August so that she's had a chance to have a summer holiday like her friends back home :)

Do you have any nice plans for the week?

I like Taronga although it is very hilly not sure how people manage with prams/wheelchairs.

When we first moved over we took ours on a family holiday (road trip around Oz, well half of Oz lol) for a month so ours were late starting school but it didn't affect them in any way in fact when they did start they were learning things that they had back in the UK so they didn't miss anything at all.

Make the most of your time together. Make sure you look after yourself though.

No plans for this week, trying to save up as everything has broken down on us lately. I have to try and help my son with this gem tree.

I was surprised at just how hilly Taronga was - Edinburgh Zoo is exactly the same. It definitely can't be easy for wheelchair users which is a pity. One of my closest friends uses a wheelchair and he and his wife wanted to join us at Edinburgh Zoo the last time they were visiting us, however, it was impossible as some of the enclosures were not accessible due to the steep hills :( I found that pushing the pushchair around Taronga was a great workout :eek: It certainly helped me to sleep better that night. Lol!

I'm loving the sound of your family road trip when you first arrived! It's reassuring to know that your kids didn't miss much as that's what I figured for my daughter since she'll probably have learned what the kids in kindergarten are currently being taught.

How long have you lived in Aus? Do your kids still enjoy it here? My 2 keep making reference to everyone "up in Scotland" but say they're happy to be here and they don't want to go home which, at this point, is a good thing :)

That's a nightmare that everything has broken down at the same time. It's typical though, isn't it? Hopefully you'll have things back up and running soon......such a pain! My hubby keeps laughing at me as I'm so conscious of saving money right now but I'm just trying to be logical incase of any eventualities/appliances that need fixing or replacing once our container arrives!

Hope you and your son are getting on okay with the gem tree :)

So did you enjoy the zoo or should I say workout :wtf:

How are you all feeling today?

We have been here 10 yrs (I keep forgetting as it seems like we have been here forever lol) the boys love it and have never wanted to return. We moved from Melbourne up to Cairns and will have been up here 3 years next month. I love Cairns if ever you get the chance to visit you have to come up, just make sure it's not in wet season.

Hi Kate,

How are you?

The workout was good thanks ;) Managed to catch the bird show this time and it was brilliant. The kids loved it :)

We are all on the mend now thank you. My little girl ended up with a fever too so only hubby has escaped the lurgy. Oops, hope I've not jinxed it!!!

Wow, 10 years! Time flies when you're having fun! Glad your boys like it in Aus and its fab that you're loving Cairns! We would love to make the trip one day. Excuse my ignorance, when is wet season then?

Are you doing anything nice this weekend?

• Like 1

Hi Kate,

How are you?

The workout was good thanks ;) Managed to catch the bird show this time and it was brilliant. The kids loved it :)

We are all on the mend now thank you. My little girl ended up with a fever too so only hubby has escaped the lurgy. Oops, hope I've not jinxed it!!!

Wow, 10 years! Time flies when you're having fun! Glad your boys like it in Aus and its fab that you're loving Cairns! We would love to make the trip one day. Excuse my ignorance, when is wet season then?

Are you doing anything nice this weekend?

Sorry I haven't been on for a few days. Glad you are all on the mend.

So how is life with you?

Hi Kate,

No worries at all! I know how busy you must be :) How are you?

Life is good thank you. We are continuing to settle in and have been really busy exploring and keeping the kids entertained. We are enrolling our daughter at school tomorrow and she's extremely excited; it will be good to get back to some sort of normality as we've felt as if we've been on holiday since we arrived. Not that that's been a bad thing ;)

Hope you and your family are well and you've had a good weekend :)

• Like 1

Hi Kirsty, how did you go with the school?

Lol living over here is one big holiday :D

I know ..... I am not convinced I need a job really :D the money would be nice, but I get to play my guitar if I'm not working .... very naughty I know :D

• Like 2

Hi Kate, that's my girl enrolled now as the school have received the "Authority to Enrol" thingimyjig so she starts on Monday. Eeeek!

How are you these days? I'm loving my holiday so far ;)

• Like 2

Hi Kate, that's my girl enrolled now as the school have received the "Authority to Enrol" thingimyjig so she starts on Monday. Eeeek!

How are you these days? I'm loving my holiday so far ;)

Oh Kirsty how exciting for your little one, is she nervous or looking forward to it. You will have to be our expert on schools in Sydney lol.

• Like 1

I know ..... I am not convinced I need a job really :D the money would be nice, but I get to play my guitar if I'm not working .... very naughty I know :D

Did you decide to give up with that other job LS? I don't blame you if you did, I am sure it is better being a lady of leisure and if hubby says anything tell him when you are in a band and rich and famous you will make it up to him lol

• Like 2

Oh Kirsty how exciting for your little one, is she nervous or looking forward to it. You will have to be our expert on schools in Sydney lol.

She cannot wait Kate; we get the countdown every day now - 5 more sleeps!! I'm hoping she fits right in as she's such a friendly little girl. I'm more nervous than she is. Lol!

I will try my best to advise on Sydney schools should anyone need to know anything ;)

• Like 2

That's so true. I was like a nervous wreck the other day but the kids didn't bat an eyelid. I need to be more chilled out like them!

• Like 2

Did you decide to give up with that other job LS? I don't blame you if you did, I am sure it is better being a lady of leisure and if hubby says anything tell him when you are in a band and rich and famous you will make it up to him lol

Oh Kate it was a right fiasco .... I withdrew my application .... Interview after interview .... The next one would have been to meet with the "intuitive woman", whoever she might have been, then the boss visits at home,then dinner, oh said no flipping :mad: was he going to have a stranger to tea ..... I am now set in my ways ...... :D cleaning & house jobs am ..... Walking the dog .... Cooking .... And relaxation, currently listening to / watching Bowie Story Tellers, I couldn't do that if I was knocking on doors .... Oh yeah that was the other thing ...... Door knocking, 5 to 6 days a week, tbh there was something that didn't seem right :woot::bored:

• Like 1